I instantly felt completely guilty after making this dish – swearing to never make it more than once a year but possibly never to make it again. But what do you expect when you see a dish called bacon bombs? I want to be clear – this tastes amazing but there is absolutely nothing healthy about this. No way to rationalize eating something like this – except the cheesy, gooey, crispy, savory bacon bombs bliss that erupts in your mouth when you eat it. I also need to give credit for the inspiration from Oh Bite It where I first found this bacon bombs recipe. Since I love making things from scratch, this is my variation on this – making the biscuit batter from scratch.
- 2 large bowls
- wooden spoon
- 1 box of toothpicks
- Deep pot
Making the Dough
- Cut your butter into small pieces
- Drop the butter into your flour
- Using a pastry cutter or 2 knives (as I haven’t bought a pastry cutter or mixer yet), cut the pieces mixing them with flour until the dough starts to look like breadcrumbs. Don’t just mix everything as much as you can – or you’ll end up with a moist paste – and you don’t want that.
- Once it looks like breadcrumbs, add your 3/4 cup milk
- Mix gently until just moist
- Now knead the dough until you get a ball of sorts. This shouldn’t take more than 5 – 6 rolls around the bowl.
- Now make small balls about 2/3 to 1/2 the size of a golfball.
Making the Bombs :
- Take your Mozzarella and cut it into small blocks – 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch
- Take one of your dough balls, use your thumb to make a deep indentation and place the cheese block inside of it.
- Roll the ball around and close the indentation. If you’ve done this right, you won’t be able to see where the cheese is – it should look like a ball again.
- Wrap the ball in a bacon strip – as tightly as you can.
- Seal it with a toothpick
- Repeat for the rest of the balls
- Deep fry each ball ( you can do several at a time) until the bacon is crispy – just a few minutes
- Remove and drain onto a paper towel
- Serve hot… They will start to explode and definitely when people eat them….