Let me keep it real, brown rice sucks. We lie to ourselves and try to convince ourselves that brown rice is as gratifying as its white rice counterpart, but it simply isn’t true. This however is a recipe to make brown rice taste better than plain rice. In fact adding fresh herbs, mushrooms, and shallots/red onions and wild rice to brown rice makes brown rice epic.
- 1 large saucepan
- 1 large pot
- 1 cutting board
- 1 large knife
- 3 small bowls
- Cook your rice to the package instructions. I used a 2.5 water to 1 cup ratio. So for this one – I used 3.5 cups of water.
- Add 2 teaspoons of salt to the water.
- Cook rice until done
- While the rice cooks, peel your 7 shallots and slice them to create thin onion-like rings
- Slice your mushrooms
- Dice your onion
- Mince your parsley
- Add your olive oil to the large saucepan
- Heat the pan – high heat
- When the butter sizzles, add the mushrooms
- Let them cook for about 10 minutes
- Then add the shallots and onions
- Cook for another 10 minutes
- Add parsley, sage and rosemary
- Cook for another 5 minutes.
- When your rice is ready mix it into the mushroom onion mix
- When it’s done: