I was looking for a light summery salad and this black bean salad hit the spot. For my South African friends, black beans are a specific mexican bean. They are not just dark beans. They can be hard to find, but Spar tends to have them. This salad is very light, refreshing, guilt-free, slightly tangy and absolutely delicious.
Just a note – if you don’t like red onions, you can very easily omit them from this recipe without sacrificing this recipe.
- 2 medium sized bowls (one for the sauce and 1 to hold the chopped ingredients)
- 1 cutting board
- 1 medium saucepan
- 1 can opener
- 1 large knife
- 1 collander
- 1 spoon
Preparing the Salad
- In one bowl, add your olive oil.
- Add the red wine vinegar
- Add the minced garlic
- Add salt and black pepper and mix well.
- Slice your basil and dice your cilantro and add to the mix.
- Cut the corn kernels from the ears of corn
- Put the kernels in the saucepan, add enough water to cover, and boil for 5 minutes
- While that is cooking, dice your onions and halve your cherry tomatoes
- Add them to the bowl with the sauce
- Remove your corn from the stove, drain it in the colander, and rinse under cool water until cool.
- Drain and add to the bowl with the sauce.
- Mix with the spoon until everything is coated
- Open your can of black beans
- Drain them in the colander and then rinse under cool water until the sauce is completely gone.
- Then add to the salad.
- Mix gently, just a few turns with the spoon until mixed. You don’t want the beans to start breaking apart.
- When you’re done you should have this: